By Dwayne Ferreira.
Nick Kyrgios cocaine test returns positive for a cocaine metabolite, triggering a provisional suspension as the Australian admits a major mistake.
MALLORCA, Spain – The Nick Kyrgios cocaine test has placed the Australian tennis star under provisional suspension after a sample returned positive for a cocaine metabolite.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said Kyrgios provided the sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca on June 22, 2026. Testing detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite produced when the body processes cocaine.
A World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory confirmed the result on July 17, while Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended since August 4.
Cocaine is classified as both a stimulant and a “substance of abuse” on the WADA Prohibited List and is banned in competition.
Kyrgios Accepts Responsibility
Kyrgios later addressed the positive test in a statement on Instagram and apologised to his family, fans and sponsors.
“I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it,” Kyrgios said.
He also apologised to younger supporters who look up to him and said he was disappointed by the example he had set.
The Australian stressed that he was not making excuses. However, he said years of injuries had taken a serious physical and emotional toll.
Kyrgios has undergone wrist reconstruction and knee surgery, with those setbacks limiting his appearances since the beginning of 2023.
He reached a career-high singles ranking of world No. 13 in October 2016 and reached the 2022 Wimbledon men’s singles final.
His latest Wimbledon appearance came earlier this year alongside Alexander Bublik in men’s doubles. The pair lost in the opening round.
What the Suspension Means
While the suspension remains in place, Kyrgios cannot play, coach or attend sanctioned tennis events.
The suspension is provisional and does not yet represent a final sanction. Any eventual punishment will depend on the anti-doping process and the circumstances surrounding the positive test.
The ITIA also noted that reduced sanctions can apply in certain cases involving substances of abuse if use occurred outside competition.
Kyrgios has so far not appealed the suspension.
According to Reuters, he also said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days.
The case is especially notable because Kyrgios previously criticised the handling of doping cases involving Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek.
For now, the Nick Kyrgios cocaine test adds another major uncertainty to a career already disrupted by injury, with his return to professional tennis dependent on the outcome of the anti-doping process.
