Nuwara Eliya Post Office lightning conductor case deepens as military allegations, police delays, and political links face scrutiny.
Nuwara Eliya Post Office is at the centre of a growing controversy after allegations emerged over the disappearance of its historic lightning conductor.
Sri Lanka Postal Services Union Chairman Jagath Mahinda has submitted a complaint to Minister of Posts and Minister of Health and Media Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa.
The complaint requests an investigation into the disappearance of the lightning conductor at the world-famous historic Nuwara Eliya Rosi Post Office.
It alleges that the lightning conductor was cut off by security forces.
However, Ashoka Sepala, Chief Organizer for the Nuwara Eliya seat of the Samagi Jana Balawegaya, has strongly rejected what he described as baseless allegations against the military.
He said such claims tarnish the image of honourable war heroes who have served the country fearlessly.
Sepala made the remarks while addressing the media at his office on the morning of the 24th.
He said the allegations were being made against security forces officials who continue to render a great service to the country.
SJB Organizer Rejects Military Allegation
Expressing his protest, Sepala said he had recently revealed through the media the disappearance of the lightning conductor.
He said nearly a month had passed since a complaint was lodged with the Nuwara Eliya Police, but no proper investigation had been conducted.
However, he added that after the media revelation, police had now begun investigations in a proper manner.
Against this background, Sepala referred to a letter dated May 11, 2026, signed by the Chairman of the Sri Lanka Postal Services Union.
He said the letter had informed the subject minister that security forces were behind the alleged theft.
According to Sepala, the letter claimed that the lightning conductor was cut off by security officers involved in renovation work at the historic Nuwara Eliya Post Office.
He said that while police investigations are proceeding legally, making such allegations against security forces officials as if they had personally witnessed the incident was malicious.
Sepala said the allegation was a serious insult and disgrace to war heroes and security forces officials.
Questions Over Complaint Route
He questioned why the trade union chairman had complained to the Ministry of Media if he knew that security forces were responsible for the theft.
Sepala said such information should have been reported to the Inspector General of Police or the Criminal Investigation Department.
He said the law should then have been enforced properly.
Sepala also noted that the people of Nuwara Eliya had elected five MPs from the National People’s Power with great hope.
He said all five had remained silent during the period in which this major theft allegedly took place.
According to him, their silence disappears only when valuable historic assets of Nuwara Eliya, reportedly worth over Rs.1,000 crore according to media revelations, are being stolen.
He alleged that attempts are now being made to implicate the security forces in this theft.
Sepala said that if the Chairman of the Postal Services Union knows who committed the theft, a statement should be obtained from him and the relevant people arrested.
He urged trade unions not to pass responsibility around in order to avoid allegations against their own government.
He also strongly requested them not to betray war heroes merely to score political points with party leaders.
Police Probe Begins After Media Exposure
Meanwhile, special police investigations have now been launched after the incident was revealed by the media on the 20th by the Nuwara Eliya Surakeeme Sangamaya.
A suspicion has also arisen that a political hand may be attempting to obstruct the investigation.
This suspicion emerged because proper police investigations had allegedly not been conducted despite the Nuwara Eliya Postmistress lodging a complaint on April 10, 2026.
That complaint stated that the lightning conductor had been damaged.
The Archaeological Department had also informed police in writing on April 29, 2026.
Following the media revelation, investigations are now being carried out under the direct supervision of Nuwara Eliya Divisional Senior Superintendent of Police Samarakkonda Bandara.
A special police team is involved in the probe.
The team includes Assistant Superintendent of Police Chandana Basnayake, Nuwara Eliya Headquarters Chief Police Inspector Chaminda Sanjeewa, and Officer-in-Charge of the Police Station Criminal Investigation Division, Chief Police Inspector Indunil Premalal.
Separate Probe Into Police Delays
In addition, a special investigation is being conducted into the background of the incident and the allegation that police investigations were not conducted properly.
That inquiry is being led by Chief Police Inspector Nishantha Bandara, Officer-in-Charge of the Nuwara Eliya Divisional Crime Investigation Division.
According to these investigations, statements were recorded on the 22nd and 23rd from members of the Nuwara Eliya Surakeeme Sangamaya.
Those members had revealed the incident to the media by commenting on the alleged theft of the lightning conductor.
Police investigations so far have revealed that outsiders had shown interest in the lightning conductor even earlier.
It is also reported that because several outsiders had suspiciously inquired about the lightning conductor in the past, the then Postmaster had lodged a complaint with police on November 6, 2014.
